Wednesday, 19 October 2016 14:17
Note: Makes about 30. You will need a food processor to make these cookies. The dough, formed into a log and wrapped in parchment paper and then plastic wrap, will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. The cookies are best eaten the day when they are glazed.
Ingredients for cookies:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons cold unsalted better, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
Ingredients for glaze:
1 tablespoon cream cheese
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1. In a food processor, process the granulated sugar and orange zest until the sugar looks damp and the zest is thoroughly incorporated (about 30 seconds). Add the flour, baking powder, and salt; pulse to combine (about ten 1-second pulses). Scatter the butter pieces over the dry ingredients, pulse until the mixture resembles fine cornmeal (about 15 1-second pulses). In a small bowl, beat the orange juice, egg yolk, and orange extract with a fork. With the food processor running, add the juice mixture in a slow, steady stream then continue processing until the dough begins to form a ball, about 10 to 15 seconds longer.
2. Turn the dough and any dry bits onto a clean work surface. Working quickly, gently knead to ensure that no dry bits remain and the dough is homogenous. Shape the dough into a cylinder about 10 inches long and 2 inches in diameter, wrap the dough in parchment or plastic wrap, and twist the ends to seal. Chill the dough until firm and cold, about 45 minutes in the freezer or 2 hours in the refrigerator.
3. When dough is ready, adjust oven racks to the upper- and lower-middle positions, heat the oven to 375 degrees.
4. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove the dough log from its wrapper and, using a sharp chef’s knife, slice the dough into rounds 3/8 inch thick. Place the rounds on the baking sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Bake until the centers of the cookies just begin to color and the edges are golden brown, about 14 to 16 minutes, rotating the baking sheets front to back and top to bottom halfway through the baking time. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets about 5 minutes; then transfer to a wire rack and cool to room temperature before glazing.
5. Whisk the cream cheese and orange extract in a medium nonreactive bowl until no lumps remain. Add the confectioners’ sugar and whisk until smooth.
6. When the cookies have cooled, spoon about a teaspoon of glaze onto each cookie and spread evenly with the back of a spoon. Let the cookies stand on a wire rack until the glaze is set and dry, about 1 hour. Decorate as desired with mini chocolate chips or candy corn.
|< Prev||Next >|