During an unannounced meeting between the Jackson County Commission and the Jackson County Legislative Delegation, Jackson County Administrator, Bob Manning told the Delegation that the county will see a $500-$700 thousand dollar deficit in the 2020 budget.

The meeting was held directly after the Monday, April 1st commission meeting.
Manning said that 55 percent of all money that comes into the General Fund goes to the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office and jail All other departments in the county are run on the remaining 45 percent.
“The problem is everyone thinks the county gets all the money they pay in taxes, [property tax]” said Commissioner Danny Rich. “They don’t know that it all goes to the schools, education.”
Manning stated that the two school systems, Jackson County and Scottsboro City, have seen an increase of $15 million over the past six years while attendance has declined and both systems have closed schools.
The County Commission is asking for one-half percent of the taxes going to schools to be redistributed to the county’s general fund and to have a referendum in the 2020 election to vote on a special purpose local optional sales tax (SPLOST) for the sheriff’s office and jail or one for transportation (T-SPLOST) to repair the roads.
Representative Tommy Hanes said he thinks if the Commission listed every road they were going to repair on the referendum, people would vote for it.
The County has seen approximately $6.1 million in flood damage to roads and claims it could take years before Federal Emergency funds are received for the reimbursement.
Commissioner Jason Venable stated the last tax the county had was to build the jail. At midnight the day the tax expired, municipalities added that tax.

Dunham's Sports

Upcoming Events

22 Oct 2019
05:30PM -
VFW & Auxiliary Meeting
29 Oct 2019
05:30PM -
VFW & Auxiliary Meeting
05 Nov 2019
05:30PM -
VFW & Auxiliary Meeting
12 Nov 2019
05:30PM -
VFW & Auxiliary Meeting

Like The Clarion on FB!

© The Clarion - 2018

Designed and maintained by Aldrich Publishing, LLC.
All rights reserved. All articles, photographs and other content are property of The Clarion Newspaper. Do not reproduce or copy without permission.